*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Buffy R.I.P.?
Writer. Producer. Director. Comic Book fan. The man behind Buffy has many hats,. But does he have enough hours in the day? In an exclusive interview Joss Whedon tells dreamwatch that he hasnt even begun...
Words: John Mosby
One particularly enthusiastic Buffy fan at the recent Nocturnal 3K event in London was heard to remark I know Joss Whedon is a god. Im just not sure which one! As over the top as his comment may seem, said fan has a good point. Whedon has played god to the Buffy franchise for around a decade, having created and produced the hit TV series and written its original incarnation, the 1992 film. Whedon is also the only TV creator to sign a deal to continue his vision and expand it into new dimensions, and then decide to kill off his central protagonist!
Buffy is dead. It sounds unbelievable, but Whedon keeps repeating these three words throughout his much-anticipated appearance at Nocturnal 3K. He makes no apologies and offers few clues about the future of the show. But continue it will.
Death becomes her
After gaining the rights to the series from the WB, the UPN network will premiere Buffys sixth season across the US in the autumn, and has already committed itself to a seventh year. Buffy will be back. Sarah Michelle Gellar will be back. Oh by the way, did we mention - Buffy is dead?!
I did warn UPN, says Whedon of events in Buffys fifth season finale, The Gift, shortly after his main appearance at Nocturnal. I told them Guys, you may see something in the final episode that disturbs you slightly!
UPN were great about it. After the show aired they took the gravestone and they shot an ad with it. The very next day they aired it with the tag-line They say when you die you go to a better place. This fall, the next season of Buffy comes to UPN!, he reveals with a chuckle.
Buffys death at the end of season five followed months of uncertainty abut the series future. The basic argument and battle of spin between UPN and the WB has been well documented and received much public comment. But some fans wondered if the show would come back at all. The Series Finale tag with which the WB promoted the shows 100th episode led many viewers to wrongly believe that this was the end of the story.
In all honesty, we were too busy dealing with the whole network move to anticipate the exact reaction [to the ending], recalls Whedon. Yes, there was the fact that she died and we knew that there would be confusion. Then, the network [the WB] actually tried to pretend it was the final ever episode. We were so caught up in that we didnt really have time to think about how people would react to it. Apart from the confusion, most people seemed to like it.
Whedon might be Buffys creator and its still very clearly his vision, but some of the basic decisions were out of his hands. The WB, or more accurately certain people within the company, were claiming they werent overtly bothered about losing Buffy. Did Whedon have any sleepless nights as to what the final outcome might have been?
Not really sleepless nights, no, he replies. I mean, Buffys dead and if they told me that I could never make another one, I would have reached a sort of closure.
But it was not wonderful to be completely rejected by your own network, admits Whedon candidly. Thats not the most fun I ever had. I figured, wed have a place to go and wed continue to make shows. If no-one else had stepped up, Fox probably wouldnt have pulled the show off the air, just grumbled a lot. It still grates to be unappreciated.
Six appeal
Not even an unappreciative US TV executive could fail to recognise how excited regular viewers are about Buffys upcoming sixth season, especially in the wake of Buffys death at the end of series five. Whedon, of course, could probably tell us everything, but he knows that would ruin the surprises. Instead he drops the crumbs hes been famous for.
On Buffy, Tonys going to become a recurring character [as Giles], he says. There wont be any other changes toBuffys credits. The thing was that if the opening credits got any longer, wed have to have a longer song. We want to keep the number of credits down at the beginning.
I cant say a lot else, of course... he muses. I can confirm that it is a two-hour episode for the start of Buffy. We broke it as a two-parter and it will be shown as a two-hour episode which could then be broken up as needed. It will be written as if it were two separate episodes, the same process as we started with over five years ago.
Next season well be watching these people reaching an older part of their lives, being still relatively young but having to make decisions that theyve normally felt older people would have to do, he states. Theyre going to find out how hard that is. Ultimately, this is the stuff that never goes away, its a universal theme that everyone can identify with.
As for the third season of Buffys spin-off series, Whedon notes: On Angel, we have a cast addition, Amy Acker, who played Fred [in the season finale arc], is joining the cast as a series regular.
It will be great to be back filming both shows.
New Dimensions
Whedon is currently toying with several possible projects, both in and out of the Slayer universe. He admits that he constantly gets inspired to chart new territories and media.
Everything fascinates me, he explains. Everything I see, I want to do. When I see a play, I want to write a play. Every time I see a t-shirt, I want to write a t-shirt. I cant help it. I cant finish books, because halfway through I want to go write one. So its both frustrating and wonderful. Right now, Im trying to fathom music for the musical episode were doing next season.
This past season, Whedon directed several Buffy episodes including The Body, arguably the finest episode of any show in recent memory. The episode dealt with the sudden (and natural) death of Buffys mother and was inspired by emotive events in Whedons own life. He confirms hell be back behind the camera for the more whimsical musical episode. But dont hold your breath for an encore from Whedons alter-ego, Numfar (last seen in Angel.) The only directing thats definitely set is the musical episode, so well see, he says. But you know, playing Numfar was terrific. I danced in the rehearsal room because Im easily bored and they decided Id have to do it. It was also great because I dont see the Angel crew that much. I came in Yes, Im the leader. Now, watch me dance! It was great fun. I gave out the clue on the internet as to what role Id cameo in. Dignity. Always dignity was actually a line from Gene Kelly in Singin in the Rain!
Ripping Yarns
One might suspect that a man responsible for two successful primetime TV shows would be content with that success. However, the next year will see Whedon increasing his workload in several diverse directions. One of his most eagerly awaited new projects is the proposed spin-off show featuring Buffys Watcher, Rupert Ripper Giles.
Anthony Stewart Head has been a series regular from the very first episode of Buffy, but will become a recurring character on the show from next season. This will allow the actor to spend more time with his family in the UK. Bearing this in mind, Whedon has seen an opportunity to further explore the Watchers life outside Sunnydale and also fulfil a desire to work with the BBC.
The [new] show wouldnt conflict with the rest of the universe, but it would definitely stand by itself. Its going to have a very different identity, elaborates Whedon. Thats not to say that other characters couldnt come and visit. Everyone has said Me please!, because they want to work abroad.
I admit, I was looking to make a show that has a British feel. In fact, when I was initially talking to the BBC, they said ...not too British, because something has to happen, right?, laughs Whedon. There will be some colour in the frame at some point ! They were [and are] interested in the way I do things, because its different, and Im interested in the way they do things. Theres the potential there for a happy marriage.
Many of the pieces for the project are in place. Whedon has a detailed outline for the first story, which Anthony Head has likened to Cracker with ghosts. Whedon currently hopes he can begin to shoot the new series around the end of the year or the beginning of 2002.
I havent actually seen Cracker, but I knew its tone. Id seen Prime Suspect and I liked that a lot. I wanted to do something quiet and grown up, but [with] really good, old-fashioned ghost stories. At the same time, I wanted to play with the emotional life of a character that Im really interested in. Hes [someone who is] noble, very quiet, but who is also a real bad-ass when pushed. I want to tell stories that are not always resolved quite as often with kick-boxing!, he states with a grin.
Some viewers have expressed concern that a BBC-produced Buffy spin-off might not keep the magic of its parent show. After all, the Beeb doesnt have the best track record in knowing how to create or treat cult shows. In recent years, Invasion: Earth, Bugs and a continued vagueness about their commitment to Doctor Who have not inspired confidence. This is also a broadcaster that regularly broadcasts Buffy in the early evening, despite the fact that many of its mature themes are not suitable for younger viewers. So, would any Giles show suffer the same fate?
We were all very clear from the very start about it being a 9pm-type of show, responds Whedon firmly. Thats not because its particularly gory. Its just entirely aimed at a mature, adult audience and so we can take our time with it.
My plan is to direct the first episode as a sort of template and just for the experience to direct something here in the UK. Then wed hope to find a crew here. I think some of my existing writers are hoping to contribute too. I would supervise and make notes - basically, a longer-term version of what I already do on Buffy. Were aiming to make it a six-episode series, but right now were aiming to initially shoot a pilot and wed hope it goes to the full six. If we need to shoot the pilot and then wait, then thats okay.
Beyond Buffy
If the BBC spin-off comes to fruition, it will be the third Buffy-related series to reach the screen. A further spin-off is also set to debut on Fox before the end of 2002, in the unique form of the animated Buffy series. This, like the British spin-off, will not contradict established continuity, but will take place in the early days of Buffys high school adventures and will be aimed at a younger audience.
Whedon wipes his brow in mock horror at the thought of four networks and the workload - but thats not the end of his future projects. Right now, he is currently writing Fray for Dark Horse Comics. This tells the story of a soon-to-be Slayer set in a future metropolis where gangsters, mutants and overworked police officers fight for control. Melaka Fray is a thief, but that career is going to come to a grinding halt when it is revealed that she is the first Chosen One in over 200 years. Whedon is pleased with the interest in the project and relieved that the first issue has done so well, but notes that How well the second issue sells is the test!
As well as his contribution to the Buffy and Fray comics, Whedon is a self-diagnosed comic junkie. He wrote a version of the X-Men movie script, though his contributions were not eventually used. When asked if hes ever wanted - or been asked - to get involved with writing any existing Marvel or DC character for actual comics, Whedons answer is rather unexpected.
Yknow, weve had very tentative talks about Iron Man, he announces. That was a project I really wanted a long time ago. People might have laughed at the idea then. They dont anymore.
But its very tentative and embryonic at the moment. Nobody has made any real offers yet. The thing is, nobodys ever made a good movie of a comic book. They still havent. Id disagree with the notion that were getting closer to it. Actually, I think the original Christopher Reeve Superman movie was the closest weve come - at least, thats the way I perceived it as a kid. I dont have high hopes for any of them, but my theories are based entirely on hubris, he says with a chuckle.
Whedons success has given the self-confessed geek and fanboy a powerbase to work from. But he doesnt want to be solely associated with the Buffy franchise. His deal with Fox will allow him to explore other avenues on television and film. Despite his rewarding and popular ties to the world of Buffy, he is eager to show that he can create other characters and situations to similar success.
Ohhh, yes, I must get away from this beast, er .. I mean this show that I love, he declares, smiling. It is important to me to do other things outside of Buffy. Im working on a movie script right now and its why I love the Shakespeare readings that the cast and I do. Its why I took movie gigs while I was running two shows. It does feed you and it does help to go somewhere else sometimes.
Given the slings and arrows (not to mention stakes, axes and cutthroat politics) of outrageous fortune that have surrounded Buffy both on and off screen over the last year, theres little doubt that Whedon and his audience are both set for an exciting time as its sixth season unfolds. The next year will be a testing ground for the changes that the last season has wrought, but there will be no shortage of people ready for a resurrection in ratings and controversy come October.
By the way, Buffy is dead. Just thought wed better mention that...
The other Joss Whedon
Yknow .. the film guy!
* Born on 23rd June 1964, Joss Whedon was seemingly destined for a career as a scriptwriter.
* In a growing family tradition, Whedons father Tom was a writer on sitcoms including Alice, Benson and The Golden Girls, while his grandfather John penned scripts for The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Donna Reed Show.
* Growing up in Manhattan with his brothers Zachary and Jed, Joss spent his final year of high school at Winchester, a British school for boys, before enrolling in a film studies degree course at Wesleyan University. After graduating in 1987, Whedon worked in a video store while penning speculative scripts, and married Kai Cole.
* Moving to Los Angeles, he found work as a writer on hit sitcom Roseanne, serving as a story editor and penning several episodes. As his career continued to develop, Whedon became writer and co- producer on the NBC comedy drama Parenthood, based on the 1989 feature film.
* Progressing into feature films, Whedon wrote the script for the 1992 production Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Whedons tale starred Kirsty Swanson as a high school cheerleader who finds that she has been chosen to kill the undead. Though the film proved a commercial disappointment, Whedon would eventually resurrect the concept as the popular TV adventure series.
* Outside of Buffy and its hit spin-off series Angel, Whedons writing credits include smash hit CGI fantasy film Toy Story and science fiction features Alien: Resurrection and Titan AE. A huge comics fan, Whedon also penned an unused screenplay for superhero feature X-Men and made uncredited contributions to films Speed, Waterworld, Twister and Lion King II: Simbas Pride.
* Whedon also contributed to the storyline on the new animated adventure film Atlantis: The Lost Empire, currently screening in US cinemas, and is writer of the new limited Dark Horse comic Fray.
* Having helmed an episode of Boy Meets World, Whedon has directed several episodes of Buffy and Angel and made his acting debut in the Angel episode Through the Looking Glass with a cameo as the dancing Numfar of the Deathwok Clan.
* Gaining Emmy and Bram Stoker nominations for the Buffy episode Hush, Whedons work has also been recognised with an Oscar nomination and Annie win for Toy Storys screenplay, and an Annie nomination for his lyrics to Lion King II song My Lullaby.
* Whedons future projects include an animated Buffy series, and another possible Buffy spin-off produced by the BBC and centred on the heroines mentor, Rupert Giles.
- Rod Edgar
I


