Skip to content


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

DO NOT POST - Backup in Progress

Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby BBOvenGuy » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:14 pm

I don't remember anyone starting a mini-spoiler thread for the musical episode, yet. With all the promotional work that UPN is doing, we're sure to see more than just the usual mini-spoilers. Here's the place to talk through them all.

First off...






Here's the TV Guide Online listing.

quote:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Once More, with Feeling
60 min.

Series creator Joss Whedon wrote, directed and composed the music for this episode in which a mysterious force impels the Scooby Gang to burst into song.

Even Buffy devotees may be hard-pressed to find an episode as off-the-wall as this, as Sunnydale denizens become players in production numbers in which cast members do their own vocals. Hear Tara (Amber Benson) sing about her love for Willow (Alyson Hannigan)! See Xander and Anya (Nicholas Brendon, Emma Caulfield) perform a duet! Listen to Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar) croon about her lack of life direction! Who's behind the music? Dawn (Michelle Trachtenberg) provides the key.

Cast: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nicholas Brendon, Alyson Hannigan, Anthony S. Head, James Marsters, Amber Benson, Michelle Trachtenberg, Emma Caulfield

Rating: TV-14
Category: Drama
Release Year: 2001


The UPN site has a page dedicated to the musical up. The multimedia thread already mentions it, but I'll put the link here as well:

http://www.buffyupn.com/musical.html

It looks like they're going to have a preview of Willow and Tara singing in the near future.

Reports (with tiny fuzzy pictures) from three location shoots for this episode can be found at these old threads:

./003601.html ./003637.html

Now, a couple of comments about the new UPN 2-minute promo that's up on their site.

#1 - Does the music for this episode rock or what?

#2 - I love how Tara does the little wacky hand thingy when Willow talks about being stuck in a "wacky Broadway nightmare."

#3 - "I've got a theory. It could be bunnies." 'nuff said.

#4 - The shot where Willow's looking anxious and Tara's lightly stroking Willow's shoulder does not give me good vibes.

Anybody else have comments?

------------------
Remember the Kitten Board Mantra: "Joss is nuts about Tara, Willow/Tara and Amber!"

To hope is to risk frustration. Therefore, make up your mind to risk frustration. Do not be one of those who, rather than risk failure, never attempts anything. - Thomas Merton

[This message has been edited by BBOvenGuy (edited October 27, 2001).]quote:

BBOvenGuy
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby xita » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:18 pm

Yeah I know bob, the looks are not giving me good feelings and neither is the song at the end... about walking alone in fear.

Oh and one word about Tara .. spirit fingers!

[This message has been edited by xita (edited October 27, 2001).]

xita
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Warduke » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:23 pm

I am so looking forward to this episode.

Tara with the hand waving, looked like "spirit fingers" from Bring it On

The look on Willow's face when Tara is stroking her shoulder could be from Buffy revealing that they took her out of heaven and not hell but could also be something completely different but still bad news.

Warduke
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby BBOvenGuy » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:30 pm

Another thing about the promo is that it's clear (to my ears, anyway) who's had previous musical training (SMG, ASH, James, Emma to a lesser extent) and who hasn't (Aly, Nick). The one exception would be Michelle - I couldn't tell with her.

Based on what I heard at the location shoot, Amber sounds about on a par with SMG.

BBOvenGuy
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby xita » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:33 pm

I don't know I didn't think SMG showed any experience with that hehe, or even Emma. And Aly, oh dear, and Nick, oh god. I wanna hear Amber sing!
xita
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby BBOvenGuy » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:43 pm

The two things I listen for are use of the letter "r" (or lack thereof, actually) and the "shape" of the vowels. People who have had formal music training are taught to use "round" vowels, which is contrary to the way people talk. I'm not sure that explains what I'm saying properly - finding words to describe the musical experience is a neverending quest for me.

Anyway, having listened to the promo again, I would rank the cast in the following order, highest to lowest in terms of musical training and experience. This is my best guess, of course:

1. ASH
2. James
3. Amber
4. SMG
5. Emma & Michelle
6. Aly & Nick

[This message has been edited by BBOvenGuy (edited October 27, 2001).]

BBOvenGuy
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby xita » Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:58 pm

I would rank them similarly, without any musical training. However I think there is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE gap between say ASH and SMG. Not sure about James, I have not heard enough and the same for Amber, the RHPS song was weird.
xita
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby drlloyd11 » Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:00 am

Watched the trailer..
1)The scene at the end, dollars to dougbuts,
they have just confessed everything
Willow has learned she pulled Buffy from paradise
Spike and Buffy. mutual attraction
Giles has told he is leaving to the UK
Tara has learned of the spell, she loves Willow deeply, but is a little shaken.
Anya and Xander, any one of 500 things..
"It could be bunnies!"

[This message has been edited by drlloyd11 (edited October 27, 2001).]

drlloyd11
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Tabitha » Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:34 am

Wow
just nothing but
WOW
will suffice

The widesceen makes it look so big Hollywood musical, I love the thought that's gone into this.

And big Tara/Willow sadness.
I've already booked a shrink appointemnt...

Edited to add that Willowvoice is the cutest!!!!
It's quirky and sweet and it's really great to hear people singing who can't really sing coz it's all the more adorable

[This message has been edited by Tabitha (edited October 27, 2001).]

Tabitha
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby tyche » Sat Oct 27, 2001 7:00 am

quote:
Willowvoice is the cutest!!!!
It's quirky and sweet and it's really great to hear people singing who can't really sing coz it's all the more adorable.


Having sat through Ewan McGregor's attempts at singing in 'Moulin Rouge', I beg to differ. I like him as an actor, but he should NEVER be allowed to sing again on film. They probably should have dubbed his singing voice, b/c he had such a big role in the film it really detracted from certain scenes.
However, I think that the cast of 'Buffy' are pretty musical anyway (James has played with 4 Star Mary, ASH and Amber have sung in the RHPS special etc.) and since the ep will be an ensemble piece, if any of them are vocally weak, it shouldn't matter too much. And I hope they had some kind of voice coaching for this ep, b/c if you're not careful you can really strain your voice when singing.

------------------
Grrr, Arghh
quote:

tyche
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby rocketdyke » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:02 am

actually, watching carefully, you can see that at the end, tara doesnt actually stroke willows shoulder at all... willows looking all anxious and tara raises her hand and is about to touch her shoulder, but then looks at her hand and doesnt actually do it.

this is most upsetting.

rocketdyke
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby xita » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:13 am

Tara not touching Willow...
xita
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby drlloyd11 » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:19 am

quote:
Originally posted by xita:
Tara not touching Willow...

Be cool kitties, look , she looks like her instinct is to touch Willow, but she looks at Willow and stops. The instinct it the important thing. This will keep them together by seasons end.

And did anyone notice the love song for Will and Tara is going to be up soon?


[This message has been edited by drlloyd11 (edited October 27, 2001).]quote:

drlloyd11
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Shaniezak » Sat Oct 27, 2001 11:28 am

Hey Kitties, just a thought before I run to work to maybe keep the hope boat afloat . . .

You know how Joss is so fond of putting in bits of dialogue that turn out to be significant and special later on? Well, there's two lines in particular that come to mind for me.

The first one's from "Bargaining."
"No, lost is good. Willow and I always know how to find each other . . ."

The second one's from "The Gift." I hear it every time I reboot my computer, since it's my Windows startup sound.
"Tara?"
"Willow! I got so lost . . ."
"I found you . . . I will always find you."

It might take a little longer than Xander and Willow getting out of the woods, or Tara's brain getting restored, but they'll find each other again. I know they will.

------------------
". . . and then I go outside to join the others--I am the others. Oh, and that's not easy: I don't know what you saw, I want somebody who sees me. I will not be afraid of women, I will not be afraid of women . . ." -- Dar Williams

Shaniezak
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby xita » Sat Oct 27, 2001 11:38 am

ok shanie thank you I feel better now.

ANd yes the whole tinkerbell thing was a set up. It will be used again, I am fairly sure of that but in general the feeling is that no matter how lost they get, they'll always be there for each other. Willow is lost and Tara will find her eventually.

xita
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Winter » Sat Oct 27, 2001 11:40 am

Adding to the shoulder-stroke speculation...
I completely agree that it seems like Will just got some bad news (I too am assuming it's the Buffy-was-in-hell thing ) and is very distraught. Therefore it makes perfect sense for Tara to want to comfort her but realize that it's a sensitive situation. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it seems perfectly natural to me.
Anyway, looks to me like the whole "Where do we go from here" is at the ending after everyone has learned the truth..s. I think the next ep will take place immediately during the morning after...if you've heard spoilers for it you know what I mean.
Winter
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Warduke » Sat Oct 27, 2001 11:40 am

Really great point Shanie

xita, great smiley HAHA

Warduke
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby EvilAnya » Sat Oct 27, 2001 2:33 pm

seeing all the promos for this ep, it makes me miss being in musicals sooo much. Their every gesture in the musical scenes is so reminscent of being in a muscial and having the choreographer say something like "really emphasize your hand gestures!!!".


I don't think it will matter much about whether or not the entire cast is musically trained, in my past experiences i've seen people cast in parts not because of their musical talent but because of how well they acted the musical parts despite their lack of musical training or how much their particualr style was just perfect for the songs that they'll be singing.


I'm actually most excited to see NB's and AH's songs because of the fact that they don't appear to have any musical training. I expect them to be great because of this. So often when watching a musical i get bugged by the fact that everyone's voice is so perfectly trained that i lose perspective about the acting and the reallness that should come across in the acting.


Kristin, debating whether or not to try out for the Yale theatre groups production of My Fair Lady.
EvilAnya
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Winter » Sat Oct 27, 2001 2:37 pm

Whoo, My Fair Lady rules! I just saw it when I was in London. I say go for it.
Winter
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Scoobiedoo » Sat Oct 27, 2001 6:43 pm

Is it just me, but i thought nick sounded kinda good? like...he doesn't have a particularly strong voice or anything...but at least he was in key...


ditto with ewan mcgregor...

Scoobiedoo
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby legend » Sat Oct 27, 2001 7:19 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Winter:
Adding to the shoulder-stroke speculation...
I completely agree that it seems like Will just got some bad news (I too am assuming it's the Buffy-was-in-hell thing ) and is very distraught. Therefore it makes perfect sense for Tara to want to comfort her but realize that it's a sensitive situation. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it seems perfectly natural to me.

I agree 100%. I thought assumed Willow had just heard about Buffy and heaven, instead of the affects of spilling the beans to tara about the spell.

[This message has been edited by legend (edited October 27, 2001).]quote:

legend
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Tabitha » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:02 pm

quote:
Originally posted by tyche:
[QUOTE][b]...it's really great to hear people singing who can't really sing coz it's all the more adorable.

Having sat through Ewan McGregor's attempts at singing in 'Moulin Rouge', I beg to differ...


He he he
But I think the Buffy ep is very different and more like a musical should be. I mean, the whole thing with the form is that people spontaneously burst into song, lots and lots of people,and lets face it, not everyone in the world has a "great" voice. I personally have had complaints from the soap when I sing in the shower. But it's all about expression. Some of the most expressive and passionate singers in the history of music sang way left of tuneful.
Besides - we're talking Willow cuteness here.
I would have no complaints whatsoever if she offered to sing me to sleep...

[This message has been edited by Tabitha (edited October 28, 2001).]quote:

Tabitha
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby april » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:17 pm

okay, so i just saw the "music video" for the muscial ep, and immediately ran here to comment.

the w/t shots in that video don't look happy at all. i doubt any of them are from tara's song to willow - they all look like they're after tara finds out about willow's spell. especially that shot that people are talking about above, where tara looks like she's about to touch willow, and then catches herself and doesn't do it. so sad! especially because the "where do we go from here" song was playing at the time... it's going to be a rough road.

i gotta admit, though, the xander/anya dance looks totally cute. and spike's punk song is going to ROCK! oh yeah. i'm excited. anxious, but excited.

april
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby BBOvenGuy » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:23 pm

Tara's love song is outdoors, in a park by a bridge and a pond. They're wearing the same clothes that we see in the "I've got a theory" song, not the ones we see in the "Where do we go from here?" song.

Man, I miss that shoot sheet...

------------------
Remember the Kitten Board Mantra: "Joss is nuts about Tara, Willow/Tara and Amber!"

To hope is to risk frustration. Therefore, make up your mind to risk frustration. Do not be one of those who, rather than risk failure, never attempts anything. - Thomas Merton

BBOvenGuy
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Tabitha » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:27 pm

Has anyone yet gotten to the stage of having watched the trails and clips so much that they're constantly humming those damn tunes?!!!
Much annoying when you only know like 2 lines of the songs...
Tabitha
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Shaniezak » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:40 pm

*sigh*

I've been going around singing Tara's love song constantly for the past four days. I've only heard it up through the "you make me believe" line, but the rest is easy enough to figure out . . .

To borrow a line from my good ol' favorite musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch, "That song has been playing on a loop for three days!"

Shaniezak
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby RomanceJunky » Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:54 am

Yes Tabithia, I'm in the same boat...I just keep hummimg those tunes and running those Willow/Tara scenes over and over...

The Junky

I do love the way they just reach for each others hands in the "I've got a theory" number, but Anya totally steals that scene with "it could be bunnies!" That one line just kills me!

RomanceJunky
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby drlloyd11 » Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:34 pm

Where did you hear any of the song?
quote:
Originally posted by Shaniezak:
*sigh*

I've been going around singing Tara's love song constantly for the past four days. I've only heard it up through the "you make me believe" line, but the rest is easy enough to figure out . . .

To borrow a line from my good ol' favorite musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch, "That song has been playing on a loop for three days!"


quote:

drlloyd11
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby tommo » Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:37 pm

She was at the shooting of the scene. Lucky so and so...

------------------
"Y-you wanna look at the money? I find it always calms me."

tommo
 


Mini-to-Intermediate Spoilers - Once More, With Feeling - S6

Postby Kiwiccan » Sun Oct 28, 2001 6:19 pm

Ok listening to SMG sing reminded me of Haley Mills' voice in the Parent Trap.

It's always about bunnies.

------------------
Paula
--------
Amber FanGirl #1a; May the Amber Force be with you.
Keeper of my own insanity
"I love being a girl, having a girl.." ~as sung by Amber Benson in the UK

Kiwiccan
 

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Novogate Backup Kitten

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design