Skip to content


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

DO NOT POST - Backup in Progress

Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby NoveltyAct » Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:33 am

Apologies to the mods if this kind of OT thread is not allowed now (i.e. in non-hiatus season)...

Just wanted to give Kitties a heads up on a gay-friendly new film, David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive." The central characters are a wide-eyed wannabe actress and a prototypically film-noirish femme fatale with amnesia, who cross paths in L.A. and eventually become romantically involved (in a hand-fanning R-rated scene worthy of the nortiest fanfic. as my gf turned to me in the theater and put it, "well. whoo.")

Warning though: if you know anything about David Lynch (who is the guy behind "Twin Peaks" and "Blue Velvet"), you will know that his movies are not to everyone's taste. Very weird. Disturbing imagery. Unexplained bits of plot. *Never an uplifting ending.* BUT, I liked this film the best of anything he's done (and not just because of the lesbians )--languid, dreamlike, quirkily laugh-out-loud funny at moments, and actually making a fascinating, Moebius-strip kind of sense at the end. Lynch has explained his film as merely this: "A love story in the city of dreams."

Anyway. Cineasts and those who love to dissect and analyze (as I did in my English-major days), should definitely see it. And the lead actress, Naomi Watts (she plays the wide-eyed ingenue)--keep an eye out for her. She was absolutely, speechlessly, stunning, acting-wise (gf chimes in, "and really cute, too." gf receiving a Tara-in-IWMTLY-like look right now. )

Novelty

[This message has been edited by NoveltyAct (edited October 17, 2001).]

NoveltyAct
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Dr.G » Wed Oct 17, 2001 11:13 am

Hmmm let me say again that anything of interest to gays and lesbians is on topic.
Now, if I spot this movie on my side of the big pond, I shall go and take a looksie. It sounds interesting. Thanks.

Btw, I don't think it is ever necessary to apologize for starting a thread, be it OT or not, if it is a subject that could go in an existing thread, it can always be transplanted by the mods or their minions, it gives them something to do besides being slutty in chat.

Dr.G
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Sarah-B » Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:03 pm

Hey, I've heard about this film too, although I haven't seen it yet. (I'm even still waiting for Lost & Delirious to screen here...:-/ The DVD is coming out in early November though, can't wait!!....)

But if anyone is interested, may i take this opportunity to plug the little web page I'm making? (well, what the hell - I will anyway!) I'm making a whole site in support of lesbian/bi characters in film and TV, and you can find it here

It will contain some basic info about each relevent show or movie, and some links, so it will help people (including me) to keep track of all the new movies and various shows and stuff that are around (I do have some info up already about Mulholland Drive too).
It's still 'under construction'. The movie section is up, but I am still yet to finish the section about TV shows...stay tooned.

(My other site is about Angelina Jolie, and that can be found here if anyone is interested!)

Well, that's enough shameless self-promotion for one day! Feel free to write me anytime let me know if you have any suggestions too I want to gather together lots of links to fanfic sites too, so let me know if you want me to link you.
best,
~Sarah.

Sarah-B
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:00 am

I am going to WORSHIP this movie.
Tim
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Hyo-Shin » Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:09 am

Remember Naomi Watts? She was Jet Girl in the Tank Girl movie. She was a very Willow like character.

[This message has been edited by Hyo-Shin (edited October 18, 2001).]

Hyo-Shin
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:33 am

Yeah,and a tiny lived TV show called Sleepwalkers.Fantastic stuff.

Back to add-I am SO going to rave when I see this...not till January though...sob...

*
Tim, could you do me a favor and register this name so you can edit your posts

[This message has been edited by xita (edited October 18, 2001).]

Tim
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:49 am

Gotcha--I think it's worked
Tim
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby xita » Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:16 pm

I really want to see this. I love David Lynch. I am HUGE twin peaks fan. Even bought the subtexty Diary . I might go see it Saturday. I don't even know how David thought this could be a tv series. Twisted guy, gotta love him.
xita
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 19, 2001 5:32 am

OHOHOH--check out the official site at www.mulhollanddrive.com
The music gives me the running thingies...

The whole lesbian affair plot--apparently it's the most healthy affair Lynch has ever shown--he tends to show sex in a derogatory way,but the love scene is(I hear) actually sweet and romantic etc...

I was'nt sure for a while--He's been accused of attitude to women,i dunno about him personally,but Wild At Heart had a masochist character--recently he said people were upset,and if the character were Everywoman they'd be right to be,but WAH was about one woman's story etc....and Laura Harris(I think that's her name) who's the brunette in Drive says he was a perfect gentleman,showed her how she'd be presented on screen etc...

Very happy about this--he seems like a lovely bloke in interviews!

And he's getting back loads of Peaks people--the dancing dwarf chap for one yeeeaeaeaeeahh

Can't waiiiit...

------------------
"I fly like Wilma!"
Happy Noodle Boy

[This message has been edited by Tim (edited October 19, 2001).]

Tim
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby april » Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:23 am

i saw this movie when it premiered in new york last fri, and it was awesome. however, those expecting anything resembling a linear plot (and i have no idea why you would with david lynch) should stay away. it's weird and random and confusing. and cool!

this won't make sense to anyone until after you've seen the movie, but the funniest lines in the film are:
"have you ever done this before?"
"i don't know!"

and yeah, the sex scene is pretty well done.

oh, and here's what premiere has to say about the film. i think it's an interesting review:


Release Date: October 12 (Universal Focus)

"This is the girl." Like "Now it's dark" in Blue Velvet or "Fire walk with
me" in the film version of Twin Peaks, "This is the girl" forms a sort of
mantra in Mulholland Drive, writer-director David Lynch's latest film.
Uttered first by a dyspeptic mobster who's very particular about his
espresso, later by a menacingly polite cowboy who looks as if he just
stepped out of an establishing shot from a Republic Pictures B western, and
finally by an obdurate hotshot film director who's eventually persuaded that
only by saying those words can he get back the life that has been abruptly
taken from him, it's an initially neutral-sounding phrase that gains more
currency every time it comes up. What it really "means"-what this whole,
wholly astonishing film really "means"-will no doubt be a source of
unending, fascinated speculation among Lynch cultists, as well as a
provocation of genuine, foam-at-the-mouth frustration among those who got
suckered into buying their tickets after hearing that the film contains a
couple of really hot lesbian love scenes.
Not that it doesn't, mind you-and it's also worth noting that those scenes
are rarities in the Lynch oeuvre, in that they don't represent the act of
physical love with complete revulsion. Indeed, the affair between amnesiac
vamp Rita (Laura Elena Harring)-who, not remembering who she is, has cribbed
her name from a poster of the movie Gilda-and perky Hollywood newbie Betty
(Naomi Watts) is possibly the healthiest, most positive amorous relationship
ever depicted in a Lynch movie-that is, for the duration of its healthy
stage, which lasts about two minutes. The movie, which began as a pilot for
a proposed television series and was reworked by Lynch into a stand-alone
film after French producers stepped in with financing for new scenes, is a
typically Lynchian sprawl (well over two hours), packed with bizarre
characters, twisting plot lines, and unforgettable set pieces, with Rita and
Betty's story serving as its linchpin, so to speak. Although set in
present-day L.A., the movie has the same unstuck-in-time feel that gave the
great Blue Velvet much of its uncanny atmosphere.
More than anything else, Mulholland Drive is an incredible cinematic
experience. You laugh, you wince, you fall in love, you hold your breath,
you cringe, you mutter "Oh my God." The movie is a nonstop catalog of
classic Lynchian moments, from extreme discomfort (composer Angelo
Badalamenti, a longtime Lynch collaborator, is ineffable as the
espresso-rejecting mobster) to nostalgic reverie (a candy-colored doll with
a beehive hairdo lip-synchs Connie Stevens's "Sixteen Reasons" in a
delightfully improbable movie-audition scene) to utter desolation (abandoned
by a lover, a distraught woman seeks solace in masturbation; in a
point-of-view shot, we see the brickwork above her fireplace snap in and out
of focus) to sheer terror (embodied, finally, by two extremely creepy senior
citizens). The only problem-and I need to lay my cards on the table and say
that it wasn't much of a problem for me, although for others it might be a
big one-is exactly what the hell happens in this movie.
It's pretty clear where Drive takes off from its TV pilot version; the
lesbian scenes are a tip-off, plus the use of space within the frame opens
up considerably. But Lynch did not use the big screen to tie up the loose
ends of his various plot lines in a neat, or you might even say coherent,
way. While the film's emotional conclusion is quite definitive and
remarkably devastating, the fact is that this is a mystery film where a lot
of the riddles remain unanswered. It occurred to me, shortly after trying to
shake off the emotional power of the film (it's the kind of movie that makes
the real world seem even weirder than usual when you step out of the
theater), that Mulholland Drive is, in an oblique way, really a remake of
Lynch's first film, Eraserhead, and that left to his own devices, Lynch
will, in some form or another, just make the same film over and over again.
Roberto Rossellini once remarked of Chaplin's A King in New York, "It is the
film of a free man." Mulholland Drive is the film of a slave-a slave to his
own, undying obsessions. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

april
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 23, 2001 6:19 am

Just bumped to enquire if anyone saw it at the weekend,and was it any good???
No spoilers!!!!!!

------------------
"I fly like Wilma!"
Happy Noodle Boy

Tim
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby xita » Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:34 am

Oh tim I saw it, I loved it. The ending is the best when she and ... just kidding Tim.

Without spoilers, if you love David Lynch as I do and you love lesbians as I do, then this is a must. And it is as usual not very linear or at all logical.

Keep in mind that it was originally shot as a tv pilot and then extended to be a full length movie. So that accounts for some of the disjointed things but who's to say those weren't intended. This is Lynch after all.

xita
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:48 am

Oh deeply cool
Tim
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby judy » Tue Oct 23, 2001 9:55 pm

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS FOR MULHOLLAND DRIVE

Hmmm, well, this is interesting. My co-worker (queer and smart) saw it and said that while she liked the movie and the lesbian relationship, she was disappointed in and annoyed by the way it "ended." I've not seen this movie. She was trying not to spoil it for me, so when I asked her what she meant, she said, "Well, what usually happens to lesbians in movies?" I said, "One of them dies tragically?" Nope. My other coworker said, "They go crazy?" Bingo. She wouldn't tell me more than that and I do want to see this. BTW she also said the same thing noted in the review april posted. SHe left the movie theater and the whole world seemed surreal and disturbing.

Anyway it's interesting to get kitty perspectives on it and now I'm really curious to see it...

judy
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby darvangi » Tue Oct 23, 2001 10:12 pm

Yeah, Judy - I gotta say that, as far as showing a positive representation of a lesbian relationship, the movie really doesn't deliver. So don't go to see it for the relationship. But DO go to see it because, in every other way, it is an astounding peice of work. It's the most challenging and bizarrely beatiful thing I've seen on a movie screen in a long time. And the best part for me was that, seeing a movie that is so surreal in a mall megaplex theater was, in itself, a surreal experience. I hadn't seen so many confused audience members get up and walk out of a movie since, well, Blue Velvet. Everyone should really at least give it a chance, because there are some incredible images and sequences in it. Not for everybody's taste, and certainly not a feel-good film, but if you're in the mood to be challenged and shocked and puzzled by great art, go for it.
darvangi
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby xita » Tue Oct 23, 2001 11:49 pm

Well, I think it isn't a great portrayal of a lesbian relationship in the same way say High Art isn't. But it can be the one story that while not perfect it does make sense. Besides, that also depends on whether you take the film at face value, if you believe every single part of the film is reality.

[This message has been edited by xita (edited October 24, 2001).]

xita
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby NoveltyAct » Wed Oct 24, 2001 12:07 am

POSSIBLE SPOILERS HEREIN


just had to add a few more cents in--

quote:
april said:
this won't make sense to anyone until after you've seen the movie, but the funniest lines in the film are:
"have you ever done this before?"
"i don't know!"

yeah, i almost didn't catch that over some of the immature giggles from the rest of the audience (i saw it a university preview screening with mostly undergrads who didn't know anything about david lynch and just wanted a free movie...)

for some reason, though, when rita turns around with the box, looking for betty, and says "donde estas?" my gf and i couldn't stop laughing...

also, in regard to judy and darvangi's posts, i have to point to the review that april posted:

quote:
Indeed, the affair...is possibly the healthiest, most positive amorous relationship ever depicted in a Lynch movie--that is, for the duration of its healthy stage, which lasts about two minutes.

as i said in my original post, lynch isn't known for his cheery endings. but god, what a trip with bones to chew on....


------------------
"Poor Watcher, did your life flash before your eyes? Cuppa tea, cuppa tea, almost got shagged, cuppa tea..."

Yeah, pretty much the story of mine, too.

[This message has been edited by NoveltyAct (edited October 24, 2001).]quote:quote:

NoveltyAct
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby semiramis » Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:35 am

Apropros of nothing realy, but Naomi Watts is Australian - and there are lots of lovely girls down here just like her (just ask miss_spangles & myself.........or see kitty dating thread)
semiramis
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby miss_spangles » Wed Oct 24, 2001 4:53 am

Why thankyou semiramis - you're quite the charmer And yes, it's true - we australians are very nice
quote:
Originally posted by semiramis:
Apropros of nothing realy, but Naomi Watts is Australian - and there are lots of lovely girls down here just like her (just ask miss_spangles & myself.........or see kitty dating thread)

quote:

miss_spangles
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:14 am

I won't see it till january for the love of...I love anything like this,Restless is my fav ep of all time!
Tim
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby drlloyd11 » Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:32 am

Going to try to catch it tonight, babysitter willing.
drlloyd11
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby semiramis » Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:37 pm

quote:
Originally posted by miss_spangles:
Why thankyou semiramis - you're quite the charmer And yes, it's true - we australians are very nice

I do my very best for you my spangly friend

I have yet to hear any rumours regarding Naomi Watts, however I have been fairly reliably informed that Portia de Rossi (from Ally McBeal) has been in a relationship with another woman for 4 years......see, we Aussie girls are not only gorgeous, but living that wicca lifestyle

------------------
"Take my word for it, I'm not the wifey type"
Gabrielle - Xena "Dreamworker"

"I think being a beautiful, heavy lesbian witch rocks!"
Amber Benson

"The longer I live, the less I resemble the rest of humanity" Violet Trefusisquote:

semiramis
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Sarah-B » Wed Oct 24, 2001 9:54 pm

quote:
Originally posted by semiramis:
see, we Aussie girls are not only gorgeous, but living that wicca lifestyle

You can also add me to that list of aussie girls
Ooh, never knew that about Portia though. What did you actually hear? (and from who?)

~Sarah.quote:

Sarah-B
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby semiramis » Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:24 am

quote:
Originally posted by Sarah-B:
You can also add me to that list of aussie girls
Ooh, never knew that about Portia though. What did you actually hear? (and from who?)

~Sarah.


Well, just that actually, my friend wont reveal his source (so it was probably the New weekly )

I have to say the Mulholland Drive looks absolutely wonderful........I must find out when it will be on in Sydney. Perhaps we should have a Sydney kitty film fest

------------------
"Take my word for it, I'm not the wifey type"
Gabrielle - Xena "Dreamworker"

"I think being a beautiful, heavy lesbian witch rocks!"
Amber Benson

"The longer I live, the less I resemble the rest of humanity" Violet Trefusisquote:

semiramis
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby miss_spangles » Thu Oct 25, 2001 2:29 am

Hi there lovely semiramis,
Interesting about Portia - i remember reading something in a New Weekly along those lines a while ago.

I'd really like to see this movie, but up here in north QLD we're probably not going to get this for quite a while

quote:
Originally posted by semiramis:

I have to say the Mulholland Drive looks absolutely wonderful........I must find out when it will be on in Sydney. Perhaps we should have a Sydney kitty film fest



quote:

miss_spangles
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby semiramis » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:15 pm

quote:
Originally posted by semiramis:
I do my very best for you my spangly friend

I have yet to hear any rumours regarding Naomi Watts, however I have been fairly reliably informed that Portia de Rossi (from Ally McBeal) has been in a relationship with another woman for 4 years......see, we Aussie girls are not only gorgeous, but living that wicca lifestyle


In this weeks New Idea in Australia - the delectable Portia has indeed been outed, there are some candid & very loving shots of her and her girlfriend - Francesca.

I do love a glamour lesbian, if only there were some in Sydney *sigh*

------------------
"Take my word for it, I'm not the wifey type"
Gabrielle - Xena "Dreamworker"

"I think being a beautiful, heavy lesbian witch rocks!"
Amber Benson

"The longer I live, the less I resemble the rest of humanity" Violet Trefusisquote:

semiramis
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby miss_spangles » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:37 pm

Semiramis - well, at least we know for sure there's at least one gorgeous, wonderful lesbian in Sydney (in the shape of you of course!) Bound to be plenty more too!
I saw that New Idea article and thought it was mighty cool. So, any other celeb gossip you've got. Always good to see you my friend too
miss_spangles
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby wiccie » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:40 pm

I must see this film! Maybe I can find $8 worth of change in the couch.

Well, I gues the (cat) is out of the bag now...Portia used to date Guinevere Turner ("Go Fish" and "American Psycho"), but Gwennie has a tendency towards non-consensual-non-monogamy, and a not-so-slight problem with assorted white powders.

Power to Portia for getting out of a bad situation!

wiccie
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby Dr.G » Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:42 pm

Hmmm, I liked her character on Ally McBeal at first, tough no nonsense and funny, then they made her character say some very unflattering things about lesbians. How ironic. Anyway, she does not write that show. I think she is a wonderful actress, and yummie to boot, I hope she's happy.
Dr.G
 


Kitty film rec: Mulholland Drive

Postby semiramis » Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:01 am

quote:
Originally posted by wiccie:
Well, I gues the (cat) is out of the bag now...Portia used to date Guinevere Turner ("Go Fish" and "American Psycho"), but Gwennie has a tendency towards non-consensual-non-monogamy, and a not-so-slight problem with assorted white powders.

Power to Portia for getting out of a bad situation!


Well, stone the crows, Portia & Guin Turner.......my mind is boggling as I write.
I strongly suspect she has approved of these photo's - perhaps this is her way of coming out. There can be no denying what sort of relationship she has with Francesca in these photo's.
Oh, and wiccie, how do you know this?

Oh, & I totally forgot to say hello to dear miss_spangles & thank her for lovely thoughts. My hair is as long as Portia's, but my attempts at glamour, not quite so successful.......
------------------
"Take my word for it, I'm not the wifey type"
Gabrielle - Xena "Dreamworker"

"I think being a beautiful, heavy lesbian witch rocks!"
Amber Benson

"The longer I live, the less I resemble the rest of humanity" Violet Trefusis

[This message has been edited by semiramis (edited November 06, 2001).]quote:

semiramis
 

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Novogate Backup Kitten

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


Powered by phpBB The phpBB Group © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Style based on a Cosa Nostra Design